Children's side chairs (2)

Object Number: 
Poplar, caning, paint
each: 23 1/2 x 13 1/2 x 14 in. ( 59.7 x 34.3 x 35.6 cm )
Pair of children's poplar side chairs with brown paint; back with curved crest rail and a single shaped slat; roughly trapezoidal caned seat with concave side rails and serpentine front rail; outswept legs that taper toward bottom joined by concave, rectangular front stretcher, two plain, round stretchers at either side, and one plain, round stretcher in back.
Gallery Label: 
An inscription on 1944.64a indicates that these chairs were made in 1854 for twin boys, James and John Jenkins.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. Florence Rogers Dietrich
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group