Britannia wares made by James, Dixon & Sons in Sheffield, England were for sale by New York merchants as early as 1821. The following advertisement appeared in the New York Commercial Advertiser for 12 June 1822: “Britannia Teapots--The subscriber has just received and has for sale at auction prices a good assortment of Britannia Teapots with sugar Basins and cream Ewers to match--J. B. Skillman.” In 1823, another New York firm publicized for sale “Britannia Ware--Table and teaspoons, Tea & Coffee pots, tea sets, Flaggons, Cups, Platters and Plates of Church service.--Pelletreau & Upson” (New-York Commercial Advertiser, 6 May 1823). In September the same firm ran an additional advertisement for “Britannia Ware--Tea Sets, Coffee pots, plain and engraved.” On the 18 December1823, the well-known merchant E. Irving inserted the following advertisement: “Britannia & Brass goods. Best double mounted Britannia Tea Pots, q., 5, & 8 gills-Extra quality & in sets.”
The Winterthur Library holds a collection of letters (dated 1835 to 1839) sent to James, Dixon & Sons in Sheffield by James W. Dixon in New York containing orders for Britannia ware, German silver and silverplate from American firms in New York, Philadelphia, Boston and Baltimore. Throughout the 1840s the firm’s Britannia wares were for sale in New York and continued to serve as models for American pewterers. The outbreak of the American Civil War in 1861 restricted trade severely and the Sheffield firm shifted its selling interests elsewhere.