Cup plate

Object Number: 
1961.185
Date: 
1790-1829
Medium: 
Earthenware
Dimensions: 
Overall: 3/8 x 3 3/4 in. ( 1 x 9.5 cm )
Description: 
Pearlware cup decorated with blue and white transfer printed image of a house with six columns set in a field with trees and two figures, surrounded by a border of eagles, scrolls, and flowers.
Gallery Label: 
According to the donor, the view is based on an engraving entitled "Hoboken in New Jersey, the seat of Mr. John Stevens." The land that this house stands on originally belonged to Colonel William Bayard and his house was seized by the colonists in 1780. Stevens bought the land, built the house, and began to live there in 1786.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Dr. Arthur H. Merritt
Provenance: 
The Dr. Arthur H. Merritt Collection of Anglo-American Historical Staffordshire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group