Leavitt, who was originally from Bethlehem, Conn., came to New York in 1813. After working for a few years as a clerk in a commission house, he established his own business and became one of the most successful financiers in the city. He was president of the Fulton Bank, took over the management of the Fulton Ferry, and financed various international enterprises.
Gift of Mrs. James M. Lincoln
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024