In early 2017, our fourth floor will be transformed into a new destination for historical education and innovation. During the current renovation, objects from our permanent collection are on view throughout the Museum.
William Pitt, the Elder, First Earl of Chatham (1708-1778)
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
30-60-90 drafting triangle marked with inches, centimeters, and conversion formulas.
This triangle was among the tools used by Harry E. Champoli (1872-1935), an Italian immigrant mason who owned a Bronx construction company during the 1920s. Champoli was born in San Vito Chietino, in the Abruzzo region of Italy and came to the U.S. around the 1890s. According to his granddaughter, he learned the mason's trade in Italy, and probably came to New York to take advantage of the opportunities in the expanding metropolis. He reportedly worked on many prominent buildings, including Grand Central Station and the Plaza Hotel. He also donated his services for the Casa Italiana at Columbia University, a McKim, Mead, and White building in the Florentine Reniassance style built in 1927 as a gift of the Italian American community. For his contributions, Champoli was awarded a bronze medal by Mayor La Guardia and a gold medal by Benito Mussolini. Around 1930, he travled to Italy for the official opening of a brick factory that he donated to his native town of San Vito Chietino.
Gift of Gloria von Hagen
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024