Elevated train sign

Object Number: 
2002.1.3522
Date: 
1870-1955
Medium: 
Metal
Dimensions: 
20 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 1/8 in.
Description: 
A black metal street sign with embossed lettering highlighted in white from the New York Third Avenue Elevated Train line that reads "3d. Ave. Local". One of nine from the system.
Gallery Label: 
The first elevated trains appeared in the 1870s in Manhattan. They ran over the streets of Second, Third, Sixth, and Ninth Avenues and had structures made of cast iron. Early service on the el was provided by cable car but constant breakdowns led to the shutdown of the lines. The el lines reopened in 1871 with steam engines pulling the former cable cars in Manhattan and later the wooden coaches were converted for electric operation. Bronx el service was intoduced in the mid 1880s.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Bella C. Landauer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group