Flask or case bottle

Object Number: 
1947.549
Date: 
1700-1800
Medium: 
Glass
Dimensions: 
Overall: 10 x 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 in. ( 25.4 x 8.9 x 8.9 cm )
Marks: 
written: on lable on bottom; "1912/ Lewis/ Morris/ Vault/ Morrisania" typed: on loose tag; "FLASK OR CASE BOTTLE/ FOUND IN A STONE VAULT WITH 18TH CENTURY DEBRIS/ NEAR THE SITE OF THE LEWIS MORRIS HOUSE/ NEAR THE WILLIS AVENUE BRIDGE, MORRISANIA./ BRONX,
Description: 
Olive green, non-lead, blown glass case bottle; bottle blown in a dip mold and has a sort, cylindrical neck with a flared mouth, sloping shoulders, and the body has four flat, rectangular, sides with a slight push-up and a blowpipe scar; broken, and missing a large fragment from one wall.
Gallery Label: 
According to the accession records, this bottle was found in a stone vault with other 18th-century artifacts near the Lewis Morris House, or the Bronck House, near the Willis Ave. Bridge in the Bronx, New York, in 1912 by Reginald Bolton and William Carver. This object was incorrectly identified in the N-YHS Quarterly Bulletin, October, 1929, p. 89, as having been found in the camp of the Musketeer Regiment von Donop, at Broadway and West 168th Streets.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group