Fort Fish and Fort Clinton, McGown's Pass, New York City

Object Number: 
1889.12
Date: 
1814
Medium: 
Watercolor, black ink, and graphite on paper laid on heavier paper (together with 1889.13)
Dimensions: 
Overall: 12 x 21 1/2 in. ( 30.5 x 54.6 cm )
Marks: 
inscription: upper center, in ink: "Forts Fish and Clinton"
Inscriptions: 
Inscribed above image in brown ink: "Forts Fish and Clinton."; verso of heavier paper inscribed vertically at lower left in brown ink: "No. 6"
Description: 
Cityscape.
Gallery Label: 
In 1814, in order to provide protection for the city of New York against a British invasion by way of the Long Island Sound, a series of entrenchments, blockhouses and barrier gates were erected in upper Manhattan, including at McGown's Pass. In this view, Fort Fish is at the left, and Fort Clinton is at the right. Fort Fish was named in honor of Colonel Nicholas Fish, chairman of the New York Committee of Defense. Fort Clinton was named for Mayor DeWitt Clinton.
Credit Line: 
Deposited by the Common Council of the City of New York
Provenance: 
The City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group