"FOUNDED IN 1847/CUNY/DESTROYED IN 197??/FREE TUITION/OPEN ADMISSIONS." White letters on blue.
The City University of New York dates back to the 1847 formation of the Free Academy which later became The City College. In response to the civil rights movement of the 1960's, CUNY changed its increasingly competitive admission standards and moved towards a policy of open admissions. The first open admissions class was admitted in fall, 1970. CUNY maintained a free tuition policy until 1975.
Gift of Glen Fleischman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024