Fragment of Stuyvesant pear tree

Object Number: 
1941.237
Date: 
1650-1750
Medium: 
Wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 26 x 4 1/2 x 1 1/2 in. ( 66 x 11.4 x 3.8 cm )
Description: 
Board cut from tree, irregular on one edge and straight on others; two metal loops for hanging.
Gallery Label: 
This fragment comes from the pear tree which was brought from Holland as a sapling by Peter Stuyvesant (1592-1672), the last director-general of New Netherland. The tree was planted at Stuyvesant's bouwery, or country estate, at what is now the northeast corner of Third Avenue and 13th Street. The tree stood until February, 1867, when a vehicle collided against it and sent it crashing to the ground.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Col. J. Mayhew Wainwright
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group