Francis Lister Hawks, D.D. (1798-1866)

Object Number: 
ca. 1858
White marble
Overall: 29 x 24 x 14 in. ( 73.7 x 61 x 35.6 cm )
engraved: metal plaque on front center of socle: "FRANCIS L. HAWKES, D. D./DAVID RICHARDS/PRESENTED BY AUGUSTUS H. WARD JUNE 1, 1858"
Portrait bust.
Gallery Label: 
A native of North Carolina, Hawks first pursued a career in law after graduating from college, but in 1826 gave up jurisprudence for the study of theology, and the following year was ordained. By 1831 he had been made rector of St. Stephen's Church in New York, and then St. Thomas's Church, where he remained until 1843 when he resigned and moved south. From 1849 to 1862 the subject was again in New York where he was one of the founders of "The Church Journal." He was also a member of N-YHS.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Vestry of the Church of the Holy Savior
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group