Franklin stove

Franklin stove
Title
Franklin stove
Date 
1845-1875
Medium 
Iron
Dimensions 
Overall: 82 1/2 x 56 1/2 x 42 in. ( 209.6 x 143.5 x 106.7 cm )
Description 
Cast iron Franklin stove; trapezoidal form with jambs, plinth and flat top; jambs cast with relief figures of caryatids with baskets of fruit on their heads; projecting plinth cast with relief figures of classical goddess (possibly Venus) being drawn through the waves by horses in a shell-shaped chariot surrounded by classical maidens; interior consists of curved side plates and flat back with sloping smoke hood cast with oval rosettes and maker's mark; flat top with central conical chimney flue with elbow-shaped flue section; projecting hearth.
Credit Line 
Gift of Robert G. Goelet
Object Number 
1973.25
Marks 
cast: interior black plate: "SHEPARD 248 [?] WATER ST. NEW YORK"
Gallery Label 
According to the accession records, this stove was originally in the Old Astor House at Broadway and Vesey Streets, New York. This is probably the Astor House Hotel, a five-story luxury hotel built by John Jacob Astor in 1834-36. With grand public spaces and over three hundred guest rooms, it was New York's first luxury hotel. It was demolished in 1913. After its removal from Astor House, the stove was used at the South Side Sportsmen's Club, Oakdale, Long Island.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group