Garrison cap

Object Number: 
ca. 1944
Cotton, metal
Overall (flat): 4 7/8 x 11 x 1/2 in. (12.4 x 27.9 x 1.3 cm)
handwritten in ink: on sweatband: "HMH" ink stamped: on inner side: "H. M. HOLLOWAY"
Flat-folding slate gray Navy garrison cap, unlined; metal bar pin attached to one side; metal insignia on other side consisting of a shield superimposed on crossed anchors with an eagle with outstretched wings above.
Gallery Label: 

In the wake of Pearl Harbor, New York mobilized for war, and the New-York Historical Society was no exception. As the city braced for possible enemy attack, the New-York Historical Society took precautions to protect the collection as its staff members departed for the Armed Forces and defense factories. Nine New-York Historical Society staff members saw active duty during WWII. H. Maxson Holloway served in the Navy. Following the war, some of these men, such as Holloway, donated their uniforms to the museum.

Credit Line: 
Gift of H. Maxson Holloway
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group