$10 Museum Admission

As part of our Summer of Hamilton celebration, enjoy $10 Museum Admission now until Labor Day. Offer good for in-person ticket purchases, not available online. This offer may not be combined with other discounts.

Harris/Anderson children on base

Object Number: 
1954.217
Date: 
1920-30
Medium: 
Ceramic, textile, metal, wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 7 1/2 x 13 x 13 in. ( 19 x 33 x 33 cm )
Marks: 
Written: on label with each baby: "KATHY ANDERSON"; "KARL ANDERSON"; "BABY HUGH ANDERSON"; "GEORGE C. HARRIS JR."; "MARY JANE HARRIS"
Description: 
Five bisque baby dolls, two in carriages, one in cradle, and two on pillow, all mounted on single T-shaped wooden base; dolls clothed in white dresses and covered with hand-knit pink or blue blankets; some lace bedding; carriages are painted pink and has floral stickers, cradle is painted blue and also has floral stickers; each doll labeled with name.
Gallery Label: 
A letter found with the dolls, written by Helen Burr Smith, explains that she dressed these dolls about twenty years before they were donated, but did not name them until 1954. During a dinner party she gave for two young couples, Rev. and Mrs. Alistair C. Anderson and Rev. and Mrs. George C. Harris, she decided to name the dolls after the Andersons' and Harris' five young children. The letter also states that Helen Burr Smith purchased the dolls and carriages at Woolworth's.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Helen Burr Smith
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group