Historical obelisk: Cleopatra's Needle

Object Number: 
1951.344
Date: 
1881
Medium: 
Lead
Dimensions: 
Overall: 15 1/8 x 3 1/2 x 3 3/8 in. ( 38.4 x 8.9 x 8.6 cm )
Marks: 
inscribed: base of obelisk: "ANTIQUE LEAD No 25./WALTER B. LAWRENCE" inscribed: proper right side of base insert: "Copyright 1881 by Henry H. Goringe" inscribed: proper left side of insert, bottom of base: "TIFFANY & CO., NY" inscribed: insert in bot
Description: 
Patinated lead model of the "Cleopatra's needle" obelisk in Central Park, New York City, NY.
Gallery Label: 
On July 20, 1880, a ship carrying an ancient Egyptian obelisk docked in New York to begin the final stage of an engineering project that started several months earlier in Alexandria, Egypt. The project engineer, Lieutenant Commander Henry H. Gorringe, had successfully removed the obelisk known as "Cleopatra's Needle" from the site where it had stood, leaning slightly toward the sea, since the time the Romans had moved it from its original site in Heliopolis. Several weeks later, on January 22, 1881, the obelisk was placed in its present position near the Metropolitan Museum of Art in Central Park – a gift of the Egyptian government to the people of the United States. This model was made in a limited edition to be given to individuals who were involved in the removal and installation of the obelisk from Egypt to New York.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mr. Townsend Lawrence
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group