largest: 4 3/4 x 4 5/8 x 3/8 in. ( 12.1 x 11.7 x 1 cm )
Iron horseshoes excavated at a military camp in New York.
These horseshoes were excavated in 1920 by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse dump at Connecticut Village, an American military camp in Putnam County, New York. The camp was one of several built to guard the Hudson Highlands from British attack, and was occupied by Connecticut troops during the winter of 1780-1781. The horses that wore these shoes could have been owned by officers, or been used to transport artillery and supplies.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024