Horseshoes (5) excavated at a British and Hessian Revolutionary War fort and cam

Object Number: 
INV.6318.378
Date: 
1760-1783
Medium: 
Iron
Dimensions: 
largest: 6 x 5 in. ( 15.2 x 12.7 cm )
Description: 
One of five iron horseshoes.
Gallery Label: 
The Field Exploration Committee excavated this horseshoe at the British and Hessian camp on Laurel Hill at Fort George, along Audubon and Eleventh Avenues and between 190th and 194th Streets in Washington Heights, Manhattan. It is one of a group of five (INV.6318.378-382) that were housed for many years as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics (Case 3) at the Morris-Jumel Mansion at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue.
Bibliography: 

Calver, William Louis and Reginald Pelham Bolton. History Written with a Pick and Shovel: Military Buttons, Belt-plates, Badges and Other Relics Excavated from Colonial, Revolutionary, and War of 1812 Camp Sites by the Field Exploration Committee of the New-York Historical Society. New York: New-York Historical Society, 1950.

Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group