Ink bottle with stopper

Ink bottle with stopper
Title
Ink bottle with stopper
Date 
1847-1877
Medium 
Glass, cork
Dimensions 
Overall: 8 1/8 x 4 in. ( 20.6 x 10.2 cm )
Description 
Aquamarine glass ink bottle blown in a two-part mold with separate base plate; applied flange lip, cylindrical neck, short nearly flat shoulder with "PATENT" inscribed on reverse, twelve-sided body with inscription "HARRISON'S COLUMBIAN INK" lengthwise on obverse, domed push-up, and pontil mark on base; cork stopper.
Object Number 
Z.540
Marks 
in relief: on shoulder: "PATENT" in relief: on body (lengthwise): "HARRISON'S / COLUMBIAN / INK"
Gallery Label 
The entry "Apollos W. Harrison, books, maps, and inks" first appears in the Philadelphia city directory in 1847. By 1877 only his residence address is given, suggesting that by then he had retired. (See McKearin and Wilson, "American Bottles & Flasks and Their Ancestry," p. 267.)
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group