Inkwell excavated at Fort Washington

Object Number: 
Overall: 1 1/4 x 1 3/4 in. ( 3.2 x 4.4 cm )
Lead inkwell; circular body and flat inset top with large hole in center surrounded by three smaller holes.
Gallery Label: 
This inkwell was excavated at Fort Washington by Reginald P. Bolton and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group