Jacknife excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp

Jacknife excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Title
Jacknife excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Date 
1760-1783
Medium 
Iron, bone
Dimensions 
Overall: 3 3/4 x 1 1/4 x 1/2 in. ( 9.5 x 3.2 x 1.3 cm )
Description 
Iron and bone jacknife excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; single-edged iron blade which pivots on hinge and folds into handle; handle has bone grips.
Credit Line 
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Object Number 
INV.5924.518
Gallery Label 
This jacknife was found in 1904 by William L. Calver, before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, on Emerson Avenue, near the British camp on the Dyckman farm. It was stored as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics in the Morris-Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue in Washington Heights, Manhattan. It belonged to a British or Hessian soldier.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group