Overall: 1/2 x 7 1/8 x 1 3/4 in. ( 1.3 x 18.1 x 4.4 cm )
Iron key with loop handle, round shaft, and scrolled key end.
This key is for the powder magazine of old Fort William and Mary, now Fort Constitution, in Portsmouth, NH. The powder magazine was used for the storage of ammunition by American troops during the Revolutionary War. The donor of the key was an ordnance sergeant stationed at Fort Constitution in 1898.
Gift of Mr. Hartford Beaumont
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024