Locomotive "Robert Fulton" (1831-33)

Object Number: 
1975.1
Date: 
1884
Medium: 
Black ink and watercolor on paper, whose verso is printed with a patent license application
Dimensions: 
Overall: 12 3/4 x 21 5/8 in. ( 32.4 x 54.9 cm ) mat: 21 7/8 x 28 1/8 in. ( 55.6 x 71.4 cm )
Marks: 
signature and date: lower right
Inscriptions: 
Inscribed and signed within copious inscription in black ink: "Drawn at San Francisco, California, July 1884. / by David Matthew"
Gallery Label: 
The locomotive Robert Fulton was an english import built by Robert Stephenson and shipped to the United States in 1831 for service on the Mohawk and Hudson Railroad in upstate New York. It was put into service on the track about one mile from Schenectady in September 1841. After the locommotive was found to be unsatisfactory for light American tracks, it was rebuilt in the winter of 1832-33 and renamed the John Bull.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Estate of Hilda R. Williamson
Provenance: 
Collection of Fred E. Williamson, President of New York Central Railroad, 1931-44
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group