Museum Open

The New-York Historical Society Museum will be open on Memorial Day, Monday, May 25. For details, please visit our calendar.

Member's desk from Federal Hall

Object Number: 
1837.4
Date: 
ca. 1788
Medium: 
Mahogany; tulip poplar, white pine
Dimensions: 
Overall: 31 x 92 x 15 1/2 in. ( 78.7 x 233.7 x 39.4 cm )
Description: 
Curved mahogany desk section from Federal Hall; unit part of larger circular or oval seating arrangement; slant-toped writing surface with four rectangular pen and ink bottle wells above four drawers with scratch-beaded fronts and brass bail handle and escutcheon (probably replaced according to accession records), carved oval paterae on ends of inner rail and above center leg; left end curved, right end with mortises; three tapered cylindrical legs with stop-fluting and bulbous feet on inner side of curve, three straight cylindrical legs with stop fluting on outer side of curve; according to the accession records, this desk is half the size of an original, and the legs have been cut down.
Gallery Label: 
This Member's desk (and its mate, 1837.3) is among the surviving furnishings from Federal Hall, the home of the first United States Congress located at the corner of Wall and Broad Streets. Federal Hall was remodeled for that purpose in 1788 by the French-born architect and engineer Pierre L'Enfant, who may have influenced the design of the furniture created for the government officials. The original furnishings, used by Congress for less than a year, were still stored in the building when the New-York Historical Society was headquartered there in 1809. Founder John Pintard petitioned the Common Council for use of six semi-circular tables, and they agreed. In 1837, the city donated two of the tables, two pedestal desks, two desks used by members of Congress, and four armchairs to the Historical Society.
Credit Line: 
Gift of the Corportation of the City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group