Pair of pitchers

Object Number: 
1947.14ab
Date: 
ca. 1850-1855
Medium: 
Silver
Dimensions: 
each overall: 10 1/2 x 6 5/8 x 9 in. ( 26.7 x 16.8 x 22.9 cm )
Marks: 
engraved: front centers: "C" in bright-cut script stamped: on the bases: in an oval, "BAILEY & Co/ CHESTNUT ST PHILA" around, "133" all over an eagle in a square, "U" in an oval and a "U.S. shield
Description: 
Pair of wrought silver pitchers; pear-shaped bodies with high narrow necks flared to high, pouring lips; seated on molded circular feet; die-rolled Greek-key bands and beadeds band are applied around the rims; beaded bands and convex footrings are repoussé chased with flowers and leaves and applied around the feet; repoussé chased floral and leaf garlands around the lower bodies and below the rims; "C" in bright-cut script on the front centers of the bodies; cast and chased handles in the form of a tree branches, covered with vines and leaves; makers' marks stamped on the bases.
Gallery Label: 
This pair of pitchers belonged to the donor's grandfather, Henry Chauncey (1795-1863), a merchant from New York. He was a leader in the construction of the Panama Railroad in 1851. There is a monument to him, for his work on this project at Colon, Panama Canal Zone.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Henry Chauncey Cryder
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group