Philip Schuyler Mansion, Albany, New York (headpiece on manuscript description and appraisal of the property)

Object Number: 
1961.13
Date: 
1818
Medium: 
Watercolor and brown ink on paper
Dimensions: 
Overall: 9 5/8 x 8 in. ( 24.4 x 20.3 cm ) mat: 18 x 14 in. ( 45.7 x 35.6 cm )
Marks: 
inscription: below image: "View of Bryans Place by Hooker."
Inscriptions: 
Inscribed along lower border inside image in brown watercolor: "View of Bryans Place -- by Hooker."
Description: 
Architecture
Gallery Label: 
The Philip Schuyler mansion at the corner of Clinton and Schuyler Streets is Albany's most imposing colonial landmark. Erected by Philip Schuyler (1733-1804) in 1762, it was originally known as "the Pastures" and stood near what was then the south edge of the city. Hooker's watercolor of the house and its outbuildings was used as a headpiece on a manuscript description and appraisal of the property, dated January 20, 1818, and signed by Hooker as city surveyor.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Nannette Bryan
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group