Physician's saddlebags w/bottles & bundles

Object Number: 
Leather, metal, glass, paper
Overall: 7 1/2 x 9 1/2 x 9 in. ( 19 x 24.1 x 22.9 cm )
Leather saddlebags with two buckled pouches connected by leather strap; one pouch with ten dividers containing four glass vials and one bundle wrapped in paper and twine; other pouch undivided. 35 additional medicine vials and bundles, stored separately.
Gallery Label: 
According to accession records, these saddlebags belonged to Dr. Myron Orton (1784-1873) of Niagara County, New York, the donor's great-grandfather. Dr. Orton used them on the Niagara frontier in 1811, while in the local militia in the War of 1812, and later at Pekin (Sanborn), Niagara County.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mrs. E.L. Woolf
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group