Pin-back button; depicts the Eldridge Street Synagogue at center; inscribed "ELDRIDGE STREET SYNAGOGUE/ 1887-?"
The Eldridge Street Synagogue was erected in 1887. For more then fifty years it remained a thriving Synagogue. In the 1930's membership began to decline and by the mid-50s the main structure was abandoned (worship taking place in an underground facility). In the 1970's plans to restore the Synagogue began and by 1989 construction was well underway.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024