Overall: 5/8 x 6 x 5 1/4 in. ( 1.6 x 15.2 x 13.3 cm ) Silver Weight: 2 oz (troy) 4 dwt (69 g)
Wrought silver pin tray; shamrock shaped with four oval depressions around a raised oval in the center engraved, "C D P" in foliate script; between each oval is a raised heart; four cast scroll legs applied beneath the ovals; maker's marks stamped on the base.
Bequest of Catherine Augusta de Peyster
engraved: in the center: "C D P" in foliate bright-cut script stamped: on the base: "W" conforming, three crosses in an oval crowned, crowned lion rampant, "IR" in a rectangle
This pin tray was originally owned by Catharina De Peyster (1665-before 1734), who married her cousin Abraham De Peyster (1657-1728) in Amsterdam in 1684 shortly before emigrating to New York. Used for holding the straight pins that were essential to a woman's dress in the seventeenth century, the tray may have been part of a larger toilet set.
Catharina De Peyster (1665-before 1734), who married Abraham De Peyster (1657-1728); to their son Abraham De Peyster, Jr. (1696-1767), who married Margaretta Van Cortlandt (1694-1769); to their son James A. De Peyster (1726-1799), who