The Henry Luce III Center for the Study of American Culture will be closed for renovations from August 31, 2014 through December 2016. Please check back in the fall for details of our exciting new galleries and installations.
Overall: 158 x 72 x 100 in. ( 401.3 x 182.9 x 254 cm )
Gift of the Coaching Club of America
The Pioneer was built in 1898 during the coaching revival for the Coaching Club of New York by Brewster & Company of New York City. This coach is considered to be one of the finest ever built from the standpoint of proportion, engineering, and craftsmanship. It is a magnificent example of the coachbuilder's art.
The Pioneer ran from 1898 to 1906 from the Holland House in New York to the Ardsley Club in Tarrytown, a fifty-five mile round trip, with eight changes of horses. It holds the world's speed record for regular operation over an extended period: eleven and two-fifths miles per hour, which included stops and changes of horses. The round-trip fare was five dollars and one dollar extra for the box seat. In addition to its regular run, the Pioneer made special trips of a hundred or more miles to points both north and south of New York. Reginald W. Rives, the famous American whip, was the amateur coachman on the majority of the runs, although other members of the Coaching Club handled "the ribbons" as well. The guard, whose duty it was to collect the fares, handle the way bills for any freight carried, and sound the horn, occupied the raised cushion on the near side of the rear seat.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024