Pitcher

Object Number: 
1928.22b
Date: 
ca. 1854
Medium: 
Silver
Dimensions: 
Overall: 5 x 2 7/8 x 2 3/4 in. ( 12.7 x 7.3 x 7 cm ) Silver Weight: 3 oz (troy) 17 dwt (119 g)
Marks: 
engraved: front center: the arms of the Clarkson family, shield with a silver bend engraved with three rings, surmounted by an armor helmet and a dragon's head, surrounded by foliate scrolls and draped at the bottom with a banner that reads, "DEO FIDENDOM
Description: 
Wrought silver pitcher from a pocket Communion Service; circular body with sides the taper at the shoulder and foot; applied stepped shoulder raised and flared around the pouring rim, low at the sides and back, high and wide at the lip; applied, cast handle tapers toward the bottom; stepped foot applied around the base; center of the body engraved with the arms of the Clarkson family, shield with a silver bend engraved with three rings, surmounted by an armor helmet and a dragon's head, surrounded by foliate scrolls and draped at the bottom with a banner that reads, "DEO FIDENDOM" in roman letters; below the arms in gothic script, "A. V. C." over, "JUNE 1854" in roman letters; makers' marks on the base.
Gallery Label: 
This portable communion set was owned by Augustus Vallette Clarkson (1828-1907), rector of the Church of St. Augustine in Croton-on-Hudson, New York. The communion set was likely a gift to Clarkson in 1854, the year of his ordination, and would have been used when ministering to parishioners in their homes or visiting those confined to hospitals or prisons.
Credit Line: 
Gift of M. F. Savage
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group