Overall: 10 1/8 in. ( 25.7 cm )
paper collector's label: on back: "CHIEF JUSTICE MARSHALL STEAMBOAT/ Built in 1825. Belonged to the Troy Line and was rival of the Union Line. Until 1831 all the steam vessels were equipped with masts in case of engine troubles and for greater speed. By
Blue transfer printed pearlware plate depicting the steamboat Chief Justice Marshall under steam; three figures stand in the foreground and a small boat is towed by a steamer; the border depicts shells and leaves and has an irregular center; the plate is scalloped on the rim at the fourth intervals.
Gift of Dr. Arthur H. Merritt
The Dr. Arthur H. Merritt Collection of Anglo-American Historical Staffordshire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.