Overall: 1 3/4 x 17 x 12 3/4 in. ( 4.4 x 43.2 x 32.4 cm )
Molded octagonal pearlware platter with blue transfer print of New York almshouse; border with twelve reserves each with one flower; central image of New York almshouse surrounded by fence; trees and shrubbery in foreground.
Gift of Dr. Arthur H. Merritt
transfer-printed: in blue on underside of platter: "BEAUTIES OF AMERICA/ALMS HOUSE/NEW YORK/J & W RIDGWAY" printed: on adhesive label on underside of platter: "222" [collector's label] written: on jelly label on underside of platter: "L243.5" [collector's label]
New York's third almshouse, opened in 1816, was located on First Avenue where Bellevue Hospital stands today. This platter forms part of the "Beauties of America" series by John & William Ridgway of public buildings in America.
The Dr. Arthur H. Merritt Collection of Anglo-American Historical Staffordshire
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.