Powder horn

Object Number: 
Horn, wood, metal
Overall: 2 x 3 1/8 x 7 3/4 in. ( 5.1 x 7.9 x 19.7 cm )
incised: next to building: "CAPITAL OF THE U.S." incised: above building: "E PLURIBUS UNUM" incised: above steamboat: "HUNTRES" incised: above locomotive: "FOR BOSTON / ENGINE" incised: by house: "P.T. HOUSE / INW" incised: at pouring end: "183
Primer horn with wooden cover at one end with metal bail at the center, metal pouring spout with spring loaded powder release device at opposite end; incised with public images, including a building with "CAPITAL OF THE U.S." beside it, banner with "E PLURIBUS UNUM" above, a steamboat marked "HUNTRES", a locomotive marked "FOR BOSTON ENGINE", a house marked "P.T. HOUSE / INW", a monument, church and frigate; wooden end carved with 3 rows of diamonds.
Gallery Label: 
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group