Sterling silver with gold inscription
Overall: 9 5/8 × 17 in. (24.4 × 43.2 cm); approx. 222 troy oz.
Mark on underside of foot: “TIFFANY & Co MAKERS 11701 STERLING SILVER 925-1000 M”
Inscription around rim: “Presented to Cass Gilbert by Frank W. Woolworth as a Mark of Appreciation at the Formal Opening of the Woolworth Building on the 24th of April 1913”
Circular, footed bowl with notched rim over a band with raised inscription in gold: "Presented to Cass Gilbert by Frank W. Woolworth as a Mark of Appreciation at the Formal Opening of the Woolworth Building on the 24th of April 1913," over a border of alternating large and small pendant trefoils intercepted with a shield-shaped reserve with the raised gold monogram "CG" and ornamented with scrolled anthemion leaves; bowl interior with a chased scene at center depicting the F.W. Woolworth building in its setting with surrounding buildings and trees; all supported on a circular molded base; impressed maker's marks on underside of base.
Purchased through the generosity of Barbara Knowles Debs and Richard A. Debs, Paul Guarner, Patricia D. Klingenstein, the Monsky family, Nancy Newcomb and John Hargraves, Pam B. Schafler, and Roy J. Z
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.