Puzzle

Object Number: 
1933.129a-c
Date: 
1750-1800
Medium: 
Wood
Dimensions: 
Overall: 5 x 2 3/4 x 1 3/4 in. ( 12.7 x 7 x 4.4 cm )
Description: 
Wooden puzzle composed of two narrow oblong pieces with each end wider than the middle, and with a rectangular ring locking them into place.
Gallery Label: 
According to accession records, this object (called an "Iroquois Indian Medicine-Man Puzzle") is from a museum run by the artist John Trumbull from 1800 to 1830. The museum stood at the corner of Broadway and Vesey Street, prior to the construction of the Astor House. The Astor House, a five-story hotel built in 1834, was closed in 1913 to make way for the construction of the new subway.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Mr. M. F. Savage
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group