Residence of Dr. Alexander Anderson, Broome Street, New York City

Object Number: 
1910.53
Medium: 
Black ink and wash and graphite on paper, laid on board
Dimensions: 
Overall: 10 3/8 x 7 1/4 in. ( 26.4 x 18.4 cm ) mat: 14 x 11 in. ( 35.6 x 27.9 cm )
Marks: 
inscriptions: Signed, lower right: Lewis
Inscriptions: 
Signed at lower right in black wash: "LEWIS"; below outside image in graphite: "A Andersons House -- Broome st."
Gallery Label: 
Dr. Alexander Anderson (1775-1870) (q.v.), one of the first engravers (as distinguished from cutters) on wood in the United States, lived in two homes on Broome Street. From 1825 to 1828 he resided at 474 Broom Street, between Greene and Wooster streets; and from 1828 to 1859 at 279 Broome Street, between Allen and Eldrige steets. In 1859 he moved to 157 Orchard Street, of which the Society owns a watercolor by Abram Hosier.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Daniel Parish, Jr.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group