Ruins of the Old Church, Jamestown, Va.

Object Number: 
1937.455
Date: 
ca. 1850
Medium: 
Oil on canvas
Dimensions: 
Overall: 28 1/2 x 39 3/4 in. ( 72.4 x 101 cm )
Inscriptions: 
On back of canvas: "JAMESTOWN, VA. / the old Church in Ruins / By G.W. Mark, Pinxt & Del."
Gallery Label: 
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Credit Line: 
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
Provenance: 
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group