Saucer: Lafayette / Washington
Peter Morton was a dealer at 68 Front Street, Hartford, Connecticut. In 1823 Peter Morton took over the shop and stock of a well-known Hartford importer and retailer, William Imlay, selling china, glass and earthenware on Main Street just across from the State House. By 1827 he had moved his warehouse to the corner of State and Front streets, where he acted as agent for the New England Glass Company as well as selling groceries, lime, cement, and other items in addition to crates of china and earthenware. Morton remained in business as a direct importer for Enoch Wood & Sons and possibly other potters from 1823 to 1832, when he sold his stock to Bergh and Boughton in April. Morton left Hartford for New York City to focus on his role as an agent for the New England Glass Company.