Cream silk satin ribbons printed in black; commemorate opening of Croton Aqueduct in 1842.
On October 14, 1842, after five years of construction, the Old Croton Aqueduct opened. The aqueduct brought water from the Croton River in Westchester County to the Central Park Reservoir until 1940. The Great Water Celebration, as the opening ceremony was called, included President Tyler, Martin van Buren and John Qunicy Adams.
Gift of H. Goldsmith
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024