Shoe button hook

Object Number: 
2006.1
Date: 
ca. 1897-1914
Medium: 
Metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 5 1/8 x 7/8 in. ( 13 x 2.2 cm )
Marks: 
Stamped on loop handle: FRAZIN & OPPENHEIM, 6TH AVE. & 18TH ST. NY; and on neck: PAT'D 6.9.96
Description: 
Metal shoe button hook with flat loop handle; retailer name and address stamped on handle.
Gallery Label: 
During the Victorian era, button hooks were an important accessory for well-dressed men and women. Ladies used elegant button hooks, often made of sterling and ivory, to fasten the numerous buttons on their elbow-length gloves, and men used hooks for their shoes and spats. This example was probably given away to customers at Frazin & Oppenheim, a shoe company located at the heart of the shopping district known as Ladies' Mile. Original partners Louis Frazin and Abraham M. Oppenheim operated the store together from about 1897 until 1914, when it became the Frazin Shoe Company. The store went out of business in the early 1920s.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Frazin & Oppenheim Advertising
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group