Wood, possibly maple or sycamore, with marquetry probably of maple, holly, fruitwoods; mother of pearl
Overall: 42 1/2 x 21 x 20 in. ( 108 x 53.3 x 50.8 cm )
Baroque side chair; back with triple-arched crest rail, curved stiles that conform to the contours of the double cyma-curve splat; trapezoidal seat with rounded front and upholstered slip seat; cabriole legs with blunt slipper feet and chamfered rear legs; chair back and side and front seat rails decorated with veneer of marquetry composed of floral motifs; mother of pearl bird and flower petals incorporated into marquetry; metal brackets strengthening rails and legs; engraved brass plaque at base of splat and shoe.
Gift of Emerson Brooks
engraved: brass plaque on base of splat; "Gift of Emerson Brooks/ 1928"
engraved: brass plaque on shoe; "OWNED BY/ JOHN HANCOCK/ SIGNER OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE/ PURCHASED AT THE HANCOCK DISPERSAL SALE IN 1795/ BY MRS. ASA (QUINCY) CLAPP, NIECE OF MRS. HANCOCK AND/ GREAT GRANDMOTHER OF EMERSON BROOKS OF MONTCLAIR/ GIFT OF MRS. FRANCIS OLNEY FRY/ 1896."
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.