Special Summer Offerings

Now through Labor Day enjoy an exciting array of family programs and admission discounts for museum-goers of all ages!

Side chair

Object Number: 
1942.445
Date: 
1820-1840
Medium: 
Maple, rush, paint
Dimensions: 
Overall: 34 1/2 x 17 1/8 x 18 in. ( 87.6 x 43.5 x 45.7 cm )
Description: 
Maple Hitchcock type side chair with painted decoration; back with arched, ring-turned crest rail with cylindrical center, squared stiles that taper toward top and terminate in scrolls, one shaped slat with opposing cornucopias, and one narrow, rectangular slat; trapezoidal rush seat with front corner blocks; ring-turned front legs with ball feet joined by ring-turned stretcher; two plain, round stretchers on either side and one plain, round stretcher in back.
Gallery Label: 
This type of chair was first mass-produced by Lambert Hitchcock (1795-1852), a chairmaker active near Barkhamsted (later Hitchcockville), Connecticut, in the mid-1820s. According to information from Esther Stevens Brazer (July 6, 1943), the chair was made and decorated in New York City around 1825. It was later used on Peter McMartin's farm near Caledonia, New York.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Miss Harriet M. Richards
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group