Spice box

Object Number: 
ca. 1858
Pine, iron, tin
Overall: 9 3/8 × 3 1/2 in. (23.8 × 8.9 cm)
impressed: mark on bottom of box: circular inscription "PATENT PACKAGING CO. / NEWARK / NEW JERSEY / PATD AUG 31 1858." printed: in black on top of box: "SPICES" printed: in black on smaller boxes: "CLOVES";"GINGER"; "CINNAMON"; "ALLSPICE"; "PEPPER"; "M
Cylindrical box made of two circular wooden panels and a thin, wood panel bent into a circle, held together with tinned sheet iron stays; inside are eight small cylindrical boxes, made in the same way each marked with the name of a spice (a larger central "PEPPER" container with seven smaller ones for "ALLSPICE", "CINNAMON", "CLOVES", "GINGER", "MACE", "MUSTARD", and "NUTMEGS".
Gallery Label: 
According to the donor, the spice box was used in 1865 by his mother, Mrs. Thomas S. Constantine (neé Harriet Emily Beckley) while she was housekeeping in the farmhouse on McGowan's land on 104th Street and Lexington Avenue, New York City.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Thomas S. Constantine
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group