Spingler House, New York City

Object Number: 
1966.30
Date: 
1848
Medium: 
Watercolor, gouache, selective glazing, and graphite on paper
Dimensions: 
Overall: 14 x 18 5/8 in. ( 35.6 x 47.3 cm ) mat: 21 7/8 x 27 7/8 in. ( 55.6 x 70.8 cm )
Marks: 
signature: lower left: "W.R. Miller 1848/New York"
Inscriptions: 
Signed and inscribed at lower left in brown watercolor: "W.R. Miller.1848. / New York"
Gallery Label: 
New York City's 14th Street between Fifth and Sixth avenues still had the quiet charm of a country village when Miller sketched this watercolor of the Spingler house with its delicate curving entrance stairway. The property, consisting of twenty-two acres at what is now 13th to 16th streets between Fourth and Sixth avenues, had been purchased in 1788 by Christopher Henry Spingler (1747-1814). He occupied the house until he erected a new one on "the hill" to the east.
Credit Line: 
Bequest of Cornelius von Erden Mitchell
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group