Overall: 7 1/4 x 1 7/8 x 3/4 in. ( 18.4 x 4.8 x 1.9 cm )
Pewter spoon with fig-shaped bowl and attentuated rat-tail drop; trifid-end stem is struck on reverse with maker's mark; obverse of stem and bowl decorated with wriggle work and male and female figures flanked by trees with crown, heart, and urn.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
struck: on stem reverse: "WI [or L]" (flanking a figure in oval reserve with double border)
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Krohn, Deborah, Peter Miller, and Marybeth De Filippis, eds., "Dutch New York Between East and West: The World of Margrieta van Varick." New York: Bard Graduate Center, New-York Historical Society, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2009, p. 305
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.