St. John's Church, Washington, D.C.

Object Number: 
1953.227
Date: 
1822
Medium: 
Watercolor and graphite on paper
Dimensions: 
Overall: 6 1/4 x 10 in. ( 15.9 x 25.4 cm )
Inscriptions: 
Inscribed along lower edge outside image in brown ink: "St Jhon's[sic] church President Square Washington Mr{Md?] R. Cutts et Mis graham's houses. 1822 --Juillet."
Description: 
Architecture
Gallery Label: 
This shows St. John's Episcopal Church, located on Lafayette Square at the northwest corner of 16th and H streets. The church was erected in 1816 from designs by Benjamin Henry Latrobe (1764-1820), and is known as the "Church of the Presidents." The Society also owns a watercolor of the church copied by an unidentified artist from a drawing by Latrobe in 1816.
Credit Line: 
Purchase
Provenance: 
De Neuville family, France; E. De Vries, Paris, 1928; Columbia University Press Book Store, NYC, 1929; Old Print Shop, NYC, 1953
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group