The Henry Luce III Center for the Study of American Culture will be closed for renovations from August 31, 2014 through December 2016. Please check back in the fall for details of our exciting new galleries and installations.
Museum Collection Highlights
Stained glass window
Support the New-York Historical Society
Help us present groundbreaking exhibitions and develop educational programs about our nation's history for more than 200,000 schoolchildren annually.
Stoneware fragment; white or gray salt-glazed base with scratch blue design.
This fragment was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and William L. Calver from a refuse pit at the farmhouse of the Van Oblienis family, between Broadway and Fort Washington Avenue at 176th Street. The house was built in 1704 and was part of a farm that extended between 175th and 181st Streets. By 1776 the farm had passed out of the Van Oblienis family, and the land below 178th Street was sold to Jacob Arden.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024