A large wine bottle for store display, probably a 'Nebucadnezzar' or 'Balthazar' size bottle. The bottle is hand-blown from dark amber glass, corked and the lip and neck are covered with tarnished silver foil. The paper label reads "Johannesberger/ Peter Arnold Mumm/ Frankfurt, A.M./ (Germany)/ F. de Bary & Co. New-York, Sole Agents for the U.S. and Canada". Founded in 1827, Mumm brothers champagne and wines became internationaly sought after and avidly consumed by the royalty of Austria-Hungary, Norway, Prussia and England by 1900. In 1881, Mumm's 'Cordon Rouge' was the first champagne to be regularly imported to the United States.
Gift of Bella C. Landauer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.