Storm on Maspeth Avenue

Storm on Maspeth Avenue
Title
Storm on Maspeth Avenue
Medium 
Oil on linen glued to panel
Dimensions 
canvas: 11 3/4 x 14 5/8 in. ( 29.8 x 37.1 cm ) frame: 13 1/4 x 16 3/16 in. ( 33.7 x 41.1 cm )
Credit Line 
Purchase
Object Number 
2004.28.2
Marks 
Stamp: in ink on verso: address stamp with name and address of artist
Gallery Label 
With paint on canvas, Queens resident Pamela Talese has been documenting the many faceted changes to neighborhoods around the borough at least since the 1990s. Here, she depicts the Maspeth Gas Tanks, situated at the intersection of Vandervoort and Maspeth Avenues for much of the 20th century and a directional landmark both for drivers of cars and for pilots flying into nearby LaGuardia Airport. Situated in an industrial area on the outskirts of residential neighborhoods on the Brooklyn / Queens border, the first of the two tanks, known more properly as "holders," was built in 1927, followed in 1948 by its twin. Until the 1990s, the Maspeth Avenue Holders were used to provide constant pressure in residential gas lines. In 2001, KeySpan, formerly Brooklyn Union Gas, gained permission to implode the tanks from the New York City Department of Buildings, but the demolition plans, which were thought to cause the release of lead dust and other materials, met with neighborhood opposition on environmental and public health grounds. The tanks ultimately were destroyed in 2001, after negotiation with community groups on health and safety issues.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group