Sword, scabbard

Object Number: 
ca. 1861
Steel, brass, fish skin; leather, brass
Overall: 37 3/4 x 5 1/4 x 3 1/8 in. ( 95.9 x 13.3 x 7.9 cm )
etched: on obverse of blade near center: "E PLURIBUS / UNUM" on banner etched: on reverse of blade near center: "US" etched: on reverse of blade below hilt: "H. SAUERBIER / Newark N.J. / Warranted-" handwritten(?): on tag once attached to object: "CAPT
Sword with slightly curved, single-edged steel blade with two fullers, one broad and one narrow, and etched designs on obverse and reverse; brass hilt with oval counter-guard with openwork flower and scroll design on obverse side and quillon with globular finial with scroll motif incised on flattened sides; grip covered with charcoal gray fish skin and wrapped with twisted wire; helmet-shaped pommel with floral border; leather scabbard with brass mounts consisting of throat with carrying ring, middle band with carrying ring, and tip with slightly asymmetrical drag.
Gallery Label: 
According to the accession records, this sword once belonged to Captain Philip Schuyler (1836-1906), who served in the 14th Infantry, U.S. Army, from 1861 to 1865. The maker, H. Sauerbier of New York City and Newark, New Jersey, contracted with the Federal Government for 100 foot officers' swords in 1861 (see Harold Peterson, "The American Sword, 1775-1945," p. 265). This sword is similar to examples of U.S. foot officers' swords pictured in Smithsonian Institution Bulletin No. 163 (p. 53).
Credit Line: 
Gift of Miss Louisa Lee Schuyler and Miss Georgina Schuyler
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group